Tags: ablation, back, beat, diseases, drugs, feel, health, heart, medications, number, old, races, skipped, story, surgery, wpw

Had WPW and ablation surgery but heart still races.

On Health & Drugs & Medications » Heart Diseases

37,991 words with 38 Comments; publish: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 18:42:00 GMT; (90093.75, « »)

Ok, this is my story. I am 34 years old and I noticed a number of years back that every now and then it would feel like my heart skipped a beat or 2 making me kind of freeze and take a deep breath. This could happen at any time but I noticed it most when I would just sit down or lay down. I never thought much of it until a year ago, while eating lunch at work, my heart started racing. I waited at first thinking it was too much caffeine or something but an hour and a half later it kept on racing. So, I went to a heart center and they diagnosed me with WPW (Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome) and atrial fibrillation. My heart was racing at about 145 bpm.

I was told the combination of the two is extremely risky and could lead to death. I had the option of drugs for the rest of my life or ablation surgery (just going thru arteries in the groin area and neck into the heart to burn out the tissue) to correct the WPW. I opted for the surgery and all seemed good. It took my surgeon 5 hours to complete the surgery. The very day I left the hospital my heart started racing again. I went back to the heart center and they took another EKG clocking me at about 140 bpm and said it looked like the WPW was gone but I still have the atrial fibrillation. Just to give you an idea, when my heart starts racing it is for a good 8-10 hours before it goes back to a normal rhythm and leaves me feeling exhausted, out of breath., and I have no concentration.

About 8 days later I felt my vision blur and felt kind of ill. Then my hand started to go pretty numb. I went to the hospital and they determined I had a TIA (mini-stroke) possibly due to the surgery. I saw a neurologist and had all kinds of tests done including blood work, MRI, MRA, cat scan, TEE (they put a tube down your throat to get a better look at your heart) etc. Things looked fine, lots of blood flow no clots. My cholesterol made my doctor jealous it was so good. So not much happened for a good number of months. I moved in that time and while flying home from visiting family, my heart once again started racing. Since I was flying home and taking connector flights I had no time to get it looked at. It raced for a good 8 hours. After that, I noticed a significant increase in the skipping beat episodes, I would have some lasting a minute or so. I went to a cardiologist in my new state and basically had to start from scratch. After having a heart monitor on for a month, it was determined my heart was skipping beats but I was told it was nothing to worry about. Beta-blockers knock me out so that wasn't an option.

Then, this month my heart started racing again at about 189 bpm and lasted a good 10 hours. I was then diagnosed with Paroxysmal atrial fibrillation; still no more sign of the WPW. Now, I need to see a specialist and determine my options. I was given the impression that it was not dangerous but how can my heart racing for such long periods of time not be dangerous? This is the fourth time my heart has raced over a span of a year. What do you think my options will be and how at risk am I? Anyone else have this situation?

All Comments

Leave a comment...

• 38 Comments
    • Im sorry your having issues. My husband had WPW sometimes his heart is 100-120 nothing big he doesnt even notice and frankly he drinks too many energy drink to get accurate measures now anyway. He is 18 years out of WPW ablation.

I on the other hand have SVT. I just had an EP study and ablation ( unfinished do to complications and odd anatomy of my heart). Your heart at 180something is not normal...but at only 2 episodes a year I your cardiologist probably wont suggest another ablation unless it is something serious. The skipped beats could be from the ablation I have heard that is normal and can last months even up to a year or more. Im glad yoru getting checked. Im sure it is frustrating but better safe you know.

I hear you about beta blockers I have tried those and some other meds and everything has horrible effects on me. Depression sleep all day and no energy. I am soo lost at what to do now.

Good Luck

#1; Tue, 18 Dec 2007 18:39:00 GMT
    • Thanks. It has been a big pain. So many tests and doctor's visits. I'm glad your husband hardly notices them but my beats were more noticable and they skipped a lot so it felt very irregular not just going fast. I actually had 4 episodes of racing for long periods of time (8-10 hrs) and many small episodes (last a min or less) through out the year. My skipped beats and racing heart happened before any surgery so the only thing I have noticed is an increase in the frequency of them post surgery. I was wondering if I am being mis-diagnosed. I'm not sure if Paroxysmal atrial fibrillation is correct. Is the racing/skipping beats for prolonged periods of time 8-10 hrs a symptom of Paroxysmal atrial fibrillation or is that another similar condition?

Good Luck

#2; Tue, 18 Dec 2007 18:40:00 GMT
    • Please note I'm not a doctor...just a ordinary person giving u my opinion :)...It sounds like u were misdiagnosed...140 bpm doesn't sound like atrial fib. i thought atrial fib. gets really high...like in the mid 200.. to 300 bpm...and before your surgery...those weird beats that you were getting...I get those all the time...and so does my dad..where u feel like u need to take a quick breath in...maybe u had a case of wpw causing svt episodes...or even inapproaite sinus tachycardia which your heart rate goes up for several hours...when the episodes started before surgery...did it feel like your heart slowly got faster and faster...and gradually came down back to normal rhythm?

Also... now when u get those skipped beats..what do they feel like? like a string of skipped beats lasting a minute...feels out of rhythm and alittle fast?

I get those all the time for years...thought it could possibly be wpw..or svt...i'm not sure...

#3; Tue, 18 Dec 2007 18:41:00 GMT
    • I am not sure what it can be. But anytime you have a pulse above normal especially 130 and up for an extended period of time I would see a DR. It is much easier to diagnose if they catch it in an episode. I have SVT. MY longest episode was a little over 4 hours and then a few minutes after it stopped it came back at over 200 BPM for about 10 minutes and stopped on its own. Most of my episodes last about 1-2 hours never 8 hours. If my heart raced at its SVT level for 8 hours I would definitely pass out.

I dont know exactly was PAF is so I cant offer an opinion on that. Have you looked up the info on it and seen if your symptoms are similar. In any case you make sure you DR takes you serious. Im sorry I cant help more.

#4; Tue, 18 Dec 2007 18:42:00 GMT
    • this is a laymans (but fairly well read) advice and opinion.

first, there is a huge difference between a-fib and a-tach. tachycardia is simply a rapid heart rate ( I think the limit is 160 or so) a-fib is a (for lack of a better description) a non beat. fibrillation is an unsynchronised and erratic and generally rapid beating of the heart and comes in two flavors; atrial and ventricular.

with WPW, it is possible for the bundle of Kent (the extra nerve pathway) to allow an a-fib to be transimitted to the ventricles and cause v-fib. V-fib is extremely dangerous and, as my doc told me, unless you are standing next to somebody that can help, cause near immediate death.

the normal av junction does not allow the transmittal of the a-fib impulses to be passed to the ventricles to become v-fib.

anyway, since the docs have ruled out a second (or more) bundle of Kent, it would appear the WPW has been treated and is not the problem or of concern.

(btw WPW is one of the causes of what is termed SVT (or supraventricular tachycardia which merely means a tachycardia (rapid heart rate) that is cause by something outside of the ventricles of the heart)

PAF is simply when you experience episodes of a-fib that convert to normal sinus rhythm spontaneously.

continuous a-fib would be considered chronic a-fib.

anyway, it would seem since you continue to have a-fib, or even other arrythmias, I would continue to seek a dx. It took me through 8 or so doctors before my WPW was ever diagnosed. When I asked the doc who finally dealt with it, I asked him why all the other docs did not see this. His response was a bit saddening but apparently true. He said, "because you went to the wrong doctors". That says a lot to me but apparently it was the truth.

Keep looking and if neccessary, do not be afraid to go to another doctor. Depending where you live, there are some very good cardiac treatment centers that are known to be very knowledgable. You may seek treatment from one of them.

#5; Tue, 18 Dec 2007 18:43:00 GMT
    • When my episodes start it's pretty instant. It seems to just jump to the much faster irregular heart rate and stay there for many hours. Then, all of a sudden, it's back to normal. I did have WPW but now that that is gone I still get these episodes. When I get the skipped beats it sometimes feels like muscle spasms in my chest, other times it gives me an urge to take a deep breath and/or put my hand on my chest to feel what is going on. I don't really get dizzy or feel like I will pass out or anything. I could ignore them until the big one hits and it races for many hours. Sometimes, the skipped beats only last a few beats and it feels just like my heart went out of rhythm and a little fast for those few beats. I heard WPW is hard to diagnose in some people if they don't catch it on an EKG. I hope you figure it out. I was getting minor skipped beats now and then for years until it just started racing one day. When my heart races for hours it is not a consistent racing but irregular. I am seeing a specialist at the end of July.

#6; Tue, 18 Dec 2007 18:44:00 GMT
    • I just wanted to let you know that I had the PVI surgery at the Cleveland Clinic...I had undergone an ablation that went wrong and made the Afib worse, then to Cleveland for the PVI...my heart beats faster than it used to and I feel that my health is diminished compared to the old me, however, I do not have the Afib episodes that used to last from 4 to 8 hours. Please ask me any questions regarding your situation, we seem to mirror the symptoms.::
      #7; Tue, 18 Dec 2007 18:45:00 GMT
    • Crazz, has your doctor recommended another EP study or 2nd ablation?
      #8; Tue, 18 Dec 2007 18:46:00 GMT
    • crazz,

had a similar experience. experienced PSVT for years with no dx. One doc told me to just cut out the occasional soda i would drink. finally got a dx of psvt after calling 911. They found an accessory tract, but if I remember correctly, it was similar to, but not quite WPW.

my episodes were triggered by physical movements like bending over too fast like to tie my show etc etc. It would usually hover in the 260bpm range for about 30 - 40 mins and then suddenly go back to normal. When it was done i felt like i had ran a marathon in a half an hour. really took a lot out of me.

had an RF ablation and i hate to be a downer, but im pretty sure it ruined my life. (at least thus far). Im still waiting to "recover" from this... I have constant pvc's that wern't there before, chest pain and a whole freakish range of new health problems that magically started the day after my ablation. Now im depressed, extremely fatigued, and feel pretty much worthless. Ive seen tons of docs and they all say the same thing... " Its anxiety, take this pill" Well, maybe it is anxiety, but if thats the case, I still blame that on the ablation. After all, i woke up in the middle of the freakin procedure and saw pools of my own blood on the floor, tried to move because i was out of it and just got yelled at be almost every person in the room! that had to do a number on my mental state hahaha...

hate to be a debbie downer, i wish you luck my friend. i hope stuff turns out well for you. :p

oh and just a side note, if you ever have a bout of svt (im not sure about the a-fib) for more than you are comfortable with, there is an amazing drug called adenosine. its a single 6 or 12 cc shot (depends on your physical size and also needs IV access) it basically blocks the ability of the sinus and AV nodes to transmit an electrical signal for a short period of time and it essentially resets your heart. sort of like a chemical version of the shocker paddles. Its hell to go through it, (if an adenosine shot isnt a near death experience, i don't know what is) but the instant relief you get from it when its done working is well worth it in my opinion. Also, not all ambulances will carry it and the ER i was in that day had a very limited supply. I used it all! :jester: If the situation calls for it and you have the right medical staff present, i would at least inquire about it. Hopefully you wont ever need it!

#9; Tue, 18 Dec 2007 18:47:00 GMT
    • kslager...I feel that my ablation, no I should say that I know my ablation made a bad situation worse...I went from occasional episodes of A-fib to daily episodes.. .I did have the PVI which helped but I am also down. I am sorry you woke up during the ablation...I also woke up as they were using the paddles...I felt like I was hit by a mack truck...I know that I have some residual anxiety because of the trauma. I am sorry for your sadness.

PVI did stop the constant Afib so you may want to look in that direction...I to had the episodes that started with a sudden change in movement, chocolate also was a trigger.

Try a thirty day event monitor...and then go to the BEST cardiologist and EP that your insurance will pay for as you know these surgeries are so new that you need to see the best.

#10; Tue, 18 Dec 2007 18:48:00 GMT
    • The complexity of the subject is a bit over my head, but let me just toss in an observation from two of my friends who have gone through Hell with A-fib, flutter, PVC's, fainting, panic, runs to the E/R, tachycardias going on for DAYS, and several painful cardioversions.

Both have done very well with the drug SOTALOL. Might be worth trying if others fail.

#11; Tue, 18 Dec 2007 18:49:00 GMT
    • Wow! Some crazy stories from everyone! With my ablation surgery I woke up once during the procedure myself but it was just enough to feel my heart race really fast. It was probably when they were triggering my problem. Oh, and I do remember being conscious enough to know they were finishing up but I was in and out of consciousness for hours. My procedure took 5 hours they told me! I don't think I have any trauma but I do distinctly remember the feeling of my heart rate going way up. No pain though, and the worst was having to lay still on my back for hours in the hospital bed afterwards. I was so stiff; I just wanted to move a little. I feel my surgeon was very knowledgeable and did a good job. However, I always felt like I was still 20 years old before these problems, now I dont feel quite as healthy. I went to Vassar and had my surgery in NY. Unfortunately, I have since moved to NC and have to wait 2 months to see the specialist in Duke. I had the option for a different hospital but I heard many good thinks about Duke and after reading these posts, I am glad for the wait. I did have a stress test done recently and that was all normal. My heart doctor here says the specialist may try drugs first or may recommend another ablation. Before my first surgery, I was given the option of drugs for the rest of my life or surgery. Well, I dont feel too comfortable taking drugs for a long period of time and figure the long-term side effects will eventually screw something else up so I opted for surgery. If I am given the option again, I may opt for another ablation. Just wondering if a second ablation will cause more problems.

Oh and thanks maggie123, if I have any more questions Ill ask :)

#12; Tue, 18 Dec 2007 18:50:00 GMT
    • After all, i woke up in the middle of the freakin procedure and saw pools of my own blood on the floor, tried to move because i was out of it and just got yelled at be almost every person in the room! that had to do a number on my mental state hahaha...

!

Pools of blood?? What were they doing that cause pools of blood?

Where was your insertion site?

#13; Tue, 18 Dec 2007 18:51:00 GMT
    • THis is to Craazz2323...do you still have irregular heart beats.?..how long does it last. I don't want to make it seem like I know anymore than the average Afib sufferer, because everyone's situation is a bit different, I have just researched the heck out of this and have had great success with the PVI surgery, it has stopped the long episodes and I only take toprol when I feel that my heart is feeling heavy or "squeezes", also, I sometimes have the pins and needles feeling after exercise, and with that, if it is sustained, I will take a toprol. I would say that ablation is highly successful with symptoms of tachy, but not so great with IRREGULAR heart beats...they come from the pulmonary veins that need to be cauterized and that involves pulomnary vein isolation surgery. Note...my resting heart rate has gone from 55 (resting) to 85 (average) resting...that is a common side-effect that the Cardiologist had no knowlege of, but was happy to learn about it when I faxed the info from the Oxford Jounal of Medicine. Alot of info is just a click away!!!
      #14; Tue, 18 Dec 2007 18:52:00 GMT
    • Crazz...I just read through all of the prior posts to get a better idea of what you are going through. When they ablated did they ablate the right side only? From what you have said it seems that the condition is worse after this ablation, is that correct? Are the triggers the same?
      #15; Tue, 18 Dec 2007 18:53:00 GMT

could you explain your question maggie? You ask if they ablated the right side only. When treating WPW, they ablate the bundle(s) of Kent wherever they happen to be. It is not a matter of one side or another, it is simply ablating the additioanl pathway wherever it is.

if there is one on each side, they ablate both sides. If there is only one, they ablate it which ever side it is on.

Nevermind. I see what you are speaking of. With PVA, there are multiple veins that can be ablated. Crazz was treated for WPW where, as I stated above, a bundle of Kent is located and ablated. It is not as PVA is done where the suspect cause could be either in the left or right atria.

crazz, these two types of ablations target different areas because they are used to treat different symptoms. maggie seems to have studied the a-fib thing. I am more knowledgable with WPW (since I had it and was treated for it). I'll let maggie run with the a-fib advice since I can;t offer much there.

#16; Tue, 18 Dec 2007 18:54:00 GMT
    • During the PVI, they pierce the heart wall to obtain clearanceto the left side of the heart in order to cauterize the four pulmonary veins ...they think that the Afib originates from this location in most of the cases. They also ablate during that proceedure but the main reason for that surgery is to cut off the pathways from the pulmonary veins. It is more invasive than an ablation and should only be done by surgeons that are highly qualified in that area.

Maybe the point is that you have to find out if these rapid rate episodes are svt or afib...then focus on the right treatment.

#17; Tue, 18 Dec 2007 18:55:00 GMT
    • Yes, I had WPW and was treated for that and I have already been diagnosed with Paroxysmal Atrial Fibrillation. The doctor told me my heart skips beats. I had a King of Hearts monitor on for a month and they got to see a number of skips ranging from 1 or 2 to lasting a minute or so. These skipped beats (sometimes feels like irregular heart beats to me) happen at random and since my last heart-racing episode (which lasted 10 hours in early May) things have been more on the quiet side with just a few mis-beats a day. I am not taking any drugs at the moment. I hope to learn more from the specialist when I see him on July 30th. It seems every couple of months my heart just starts racing again out of the blue and goes on for a good 10 hours then suddenly goes back to normal. I know they had to pierce a hole in my heart to get to the other side to treat my WPW. I would say the frequency of my skipping beats has increase since the surgery. I felt a little more aged and I gained 15 lbs. I can't really say it was because of the surgery because before my first racing episode (which lead to the surgery) my heart only skipped beats once in a blue moon and never raced. I am expecting in a good 2 months or so from now I will get another racing episode but until then, I have a few beats mess up now and then.

#18; Tue, 18 Dec 2007 18:56:00 GMT
    • Crazz...is it now you get those skipped beat like lasting a min or so?

after surgery those skipped beats got worse? I get those also, just wondering what the doctors say what those long-lasting skipped beats were.

#19; Tue, 18 Dec 2007 18:57:00 GMT
    • Well, my doctor here did not seem to concerned about the skipped beats and says it is normal in a lot of people. It is the heart racing for 10 hours that is worth seeing the specialist for. I get skipped beats that sometimes are 1 or 2 beats, usually not lasting a minute but some do last a bit more. Right now it only seems to happen 2 or 3 times a day but a few months ago it was more like 9 times a day. It varies but usually does not last more than a few beats.

Crazz...is it now you get those skipped beat like lasting a min or so?

#20; Tue, 18 Dec 2007 18:58:00 GMT
    • Do u think that your atrial fib. still present is related to diet? Do u find it gets worse after u eat/drink something?
      #21; Tue, 18 Dec 2007 18:59:00 GMT
      #22; Tue, 18 Dec 2007 19:00:00 GMT
    • Do you feel enough discomfort to have the PVI?
      #23; Tue, 18 Dec 2007 19:02:00 GMT
    • Usually, my skipped beats last for just a few beats then it's fine. It is more uncommon that they last for a minute. I did notice after surgery that my skipped beats occur much more often than in the past but then again my heart never raced before then so I don't know if the first time my heart raced triggered it all or the surgery did. My doctor here di not seem too concerened abot the skipped beats and said it was normal in a lot of people but seeing the specialist was prompted by my 10 heart racing episodes. Since I have to wait months to see a specialist, I guess it's not too much of a concern.

Crazz...is it now you get those skipped beat like lasting a min or so?

#24; Tue, 18 Dec 2007 19:02:00 GMT
    • I wonder how common it is to have longer periods of irregular and skipped beats (racing too) after ablation...it seems to make things worse in many cases. It made mine worse and the docs that did the first one didn't take any responsibility for it, they just kept prescribing more meds, meds that I never had to take before and the meds that they promised I wouldn't have to take after they "sold" me on the ablation. Any one else feel confused by this or have a similar outcome?
      #25; Tue, 18 Dec 2007 19:04:00 GMT
    • I am 43 yro male. Ive had palpitations since I was 10 years old. My heart would go from a normal 80-90 beats up to appr. 180. I was still extremely active (4 sports \ year thru high school and 2 yrs college.). I learned to make it stop by lying on my back and pulling my knees to my chest. (Have learned other techniques since.)Most always went away in a few seconds. And I could get up and run like nothing ever happened. As I got older late 30s early 40s, they began lasting longer, sometimes 15 - 20 min. Last year I had 2 episodes that lasted almost 2 hours. On the third episode, my sister raced me to emergency room where I was given "ideno cart shot?" after 4hours of 180 bpm.They immediately diagnosed me with SVT (Supra Ventricular Tachycarda. Between 33 and 37 yro I had been to dozens of doctors who could never diagnose this, other than to say "must be stress, take an anti anxiety med etc,". Which I flatly refused.

I was recommended to a brilliant cardiologist. Dr. Beourganelli - Cardiology Consultants - Sacred Heart Hospital - Pensacola.He performed a cardo "ablasion ?". (Simple procedure, costly$, minimally invasive = two small holes for cath at groin area, 45 min. in surgery room,. stay overnight for observation, left next morning. It has been 1 1/2 years ago and I have not had one SVT event. I do however, still have the premature / skipped heartbeats on rare occasion. They can cause some anxiety. I have tried to just relax, get plenty of rest, eat smaller meals (as large meals seem to aggravate symptoms), very little caffeine, some beer - wine (actually makes me feel better) - (not a recommendation for anyone else). I have read that the feeling of the heartbeat disrhythmia can sometimes be confused with and caused by acid reflux - esophogal disease - gastridis - indegestion, and intensified by those with enlarged heart. I hope some of this helps. I know the aggravation of these symptoms. I think the previous posts that referenced -"relax, it hasn't stopped you yet" has some merit. I know it's tough, but it does help me. Good Luck And Best Wishes for Perfect Health to All. Tg

#26; Tue, 18 Dec 2007 19:04:00 GMT
    • I had an ablation done in Bordeaux, France, 2 + 1/2 months ago. Had Paroximal AF for a year. I am very pleased with the result. But my heart is a little on the fast side when I get up in the mornng, around 100bpm. then it slows down as the day progresses. Anyone experiencing this?
      #27; Tue, 18 Dec 2007 19:05:00 GMT
    • I have noticed an increase in symptoms at times when I have more caffeine. The doctor told me to lower my caffeine intake and get more potassium in my diet. He also told me to take a baby aspirin 1 a day. I have one of those metabolisms that just burn up any fat/calories I ingest, even my cholesterol made my own doctor jealous! It was awesome and I sit on my butt most days lol! So altering my diet is not something I am willing to do easily! I only weigh 174 lbs as it is! I don't like the thought of side effects of medications after taking them for long periods of time so I don't plan to take any medications unless I absolutly have too. So far I do not.
      #28; Tue, 18 Dec 2007 19:07:00 GMT

That is what I had done on the 10th May, this year, for AF. I feel lucky that my Consultant is highly qualified in this area, and after the op, he was extremely optimistic at the outcome for me, I get the feeling he really went for it - he said he had done about 100 ablates :dizzy: - for those who don't know, an ablate is about the size of a pinhead.

My gut feeling is that it was a success but, of course, I wont be able to tell until September, when I stop the Sotalol, how well it has worked..

I still have chest ache on exertion, but am getting stronger each day and feel really optimistic, I just hope my optimism is justified.

#29; Tue, 18 Dec 2007 19:08:00 GMT

Hi Maggie,

I had an ablation in March 2006 for Atrial Flutter. Afterwards, I had terrible runs of PACs and skips. It was quite frustrating because all the docs would say is, "don't worry, they are benign," which I always thought was an annoying response because benign or not, they are uncomfortable. I wasn't worried about it, I just couldn't sleep, couldn't get my work done, etc. For me, the PACs were very palpable, very unsettling. I was angry at the docs for dismissing the discomfort and not informing me of this possible side-effect. After several months the skips did go away though.

The PACs were especially bad after exercise. I'd go for a run, and 3-4 hours later I'd get several-hour-long runs of PACs. My face (and ears especially) would get beet red. This pattern went away after about 6 months. Unfortunately, I had a recurrence of the Atrial Flutter, and got a second ablation in May 2007. This one has been much much better so far.

All through my life, I have been able to feel the skipped beats. After the first ablation, I thought, "How can people say that they barely feel skips? These things are jumping out of my chest!" What is strange for me is that now I also barely feel the skips. I am quite certain that this is not that I got used to them - I really think they are less forceful than before. Even my 2nd bout of atrial flutter was something I barely felt (even though from an EKG perspective it was worse than my 1st bout). My first one felt like an alien doing somersaults in my chest.

If your outcome is like mine, the skips will go away, but it'll take a while. I know A-fib and A-flutter are quite different, but nevertheless, I hope that's the case.

ebmd

#30; Tue, 18 Dec 2007 19:09:00 GMT

IF you ****** elevated heart rate after PVI you will see an article that highlights the fact that the success rate and the higher resting pulse rate are directly related so it's a good thing I guess. I am trying to exercise everyday to reduce the increase in the rate...it did go down to the 70's at one point... I used to average really low...around 55, now I am usually around 90 to 100bpm.

#31; Tue, 18 Dec 2007 19:10:00 GMT
    • I have to tell you that my afib is gone to date, the only side effect that I notice is the significantly higher resting pulse...90 to 100...and piching and heaviness on the upper right but I think that is scar tissue from the first botched ablation...I am so glad to hear that you are doing well...it's amazing that we have this technology...several of my relatives could have benefited from this...I have a feeling it may be hereditary to some degree.
      #32; Tue, 18 Dec 2007 19:11:00 GMT
    • I am now 8 weeks on from my AF ablation and am, at last, feeling really well :) I have the odd ectopic beat and very occasionally, maybe a couple of times a week, my heart races but that only lasts a minute or so! :D - HUGE improvement from my AF episodes of 7+ hours.. and it is still early days, so am now thinking, it was actually worth having the operation :)

Will keep you updated as the months go on, I go back to consultant in September and, presuming I carry on with the above happenings, I shall come off of my 40mg twice a day Sotalol and all will be well :bouncing:

Am having a cardiac rehab treadmill assessment next week, and then I shall begin to get fit again..

#33; Tue, 18 Dec 2007 19:12:00 GMT
    • I was diagnosed with wpw. I had his bundle ablation and on the next day they still able to induce svt. My cardio said I got A-Fib now... (He never did or order an ECG for me.) He said the pacemaker was changing mode then he dx as I got A-Fib. He said I didn't have PAC or PVC. He said I got a few skip beats. On the 24 hrs holter monitor report said that skip beat is a "3.2 second pause"! How long were your skip beat last? or skip how many beats? Mine 3.2 second should be 3 beats, is that right?

I unable to tell you my ablation story because I was under general anesthetic. When I woke up, I felt very very sick. I didn't have to lay down flat because I didn't listen to the commend. When I felt very sick, I rolled everywhere on the bed!

Nice to see so many wpw turn up here. Take care.

#34; Tue, 18 Dec 2007 19:13:00 GMT
    • Hi Maggie

Can you tell me how long did you wait before you had your second ablation? And when you said "botched" can you tell me what happened? I also had an ablation that wasn't successful and was told I need it done again. Just trying to research a little because it was scary enough the first time, and, if it didn't work the first time it might not work the second!!!

Thanks in advance for any information you can give me.

Kizz

#35; Tue, 18 Dec 2007 19:14:00 GMT
    • Hi Sue

Were you taking 40mg of Sotalol before your ablation? I am taking 80mg twice daily.

Thanks Kizz

#36; Tue, 18 Dec 2007 19:15:00 GMT
    • Well, I finally met with the specialist up at Duke and he suspects I either have some pathways that were missed during my first ablation or it may have grown back. I will be getting ablation surgery again in a few months. If he can not find the pathway I will have two options: 1) take beta blockers for the rest of my life and see if that works or 2) Have what he called a "big" ablation which would involve open heart surgery burning 150 points in my heart. That is a last resort however since the chance of death is 1 in 500! If this second ablation works, I should have a 95-98% chance of having no more heart racing episodes. The "big" ablation is similar to the maze procedure but using catheters instead of putting incisions in the heart. Has anyone had the maze or the similar one I am talking about done? How did it go? How long did it take you to recover?
      #37; Tue, 18 Dec 2007 19:16:00 GMT
    • Hi Sue

Thanks Kizz

Hi Kizz, yes I was taking 40mg of Sotalol before my ablation, they did try me on Propafenone in March before the op, but I suffered terrible side effects so returned to the Sotalol.. I was on 80mg twice daily for years and years and asked if I could cut down a few years ago, they said yes, and it still, at that time, kept the palpitations to a minimum.

I am now almost 3 months post ablation and am feeling great! my energy levels are up where they were, am walking miles and miles and, basically, can do all I did before the op, but with more gusto:D AND no palpitations!!

Sue