Tags: apparent, assume, awake, diseases, drifting, drugs, health, heart, jolted, medications, pvc, pvcs, sleep

Jolted awake by PVCs?

On Health & Drugs & Medications » Heart Diseases

6,678 words with 13 Comments; publish: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 10:39:00 GMT; (900125.00, « »)

All Comments

Leave a comment...

• 13 Comments
    • For those with PVC's have you ever been drifting off to sleep and then for no apparent reason get jolted awake? I assume it's from the heart skipping beats and then suddenly start beating again. Anyway this is very scary, to the point where I don't even want to sleep. I was referred to a Cardiologist but it might be awhile before I can get in, I want to get this under control ASAP. :confused: :(

If this is happening more than about twenty times a night, you might have sleep apnea, which causes your breathing to stop, your heart to stop, and wakes you up many times a night. Since you're asleep when this is happening and you can't be very objective about it, you might want to get a sleep study to find out if this sleep pattern can be corrected.

Ask your primary care doctor for a referral for a sleep study. If it's indicated, (s)he can also run a 24-hour urine test for phochromocytoma, a rare but vicious tiny tumor which affects your adrenal glands and often causes rude awakenings. I hope you start sleeping better soon!

Hugs,

Pam

#1; Sat, 15 Dec 2007 15:18:00 GMT
    • Well I don't think it's been more than 20 so far tonight but it's been several. This has only happened to me on one other occasion, I figured it was just from the PVC's, I didn't think of sleep apnea. By the way, is the tumor you mentioned malignant?
      #2; Sat, 15 Dec 2007 15:19:00 GMT

If sleep apnea is causing your problem, you may not remember each incident. That's why you could use a sleep study to evaluate your sleep. The night I had a sleep study, I thought I woke twice. It was seventeen times!

Pheochromocytoma is benign and very rare, but it is also extremely troubling for those who have it.

I do hope you have a better night's sleep soon! Sleep deprivation is the pits. Talk to your doctor.

Hugs,

Pam

#3; Sat, 15 Dec 2007 15:20:00 GMT
    • I've had PVCs wake me up at night on quite a few occasions. Doctor's often prescribe beta blockers to reduce the number of PVCs. I take a beta blocker, but I still have PVCs. Although my doctor told me not to worry (and stress, by the way, can cause increases in PVCs), like many people, I worry anyway. I really hope one day SOON that if doctor's can't cure PVC's, then maybe they'll find a way to make their patients stop worrying about them so much. Is anyone aware of an on-line support group for PVC sufferers?
      #4; Sat, 15 Dec 2007 15:21:00 GMT

What kind of arrhythmia do you have?

#5; Sat, 15 Dec 2007 15:22:00 GMT
    • CLC, I have the same arrhythmia you have--premature ventricular contractions (PVCs). I sometimes get 500-600 in a day. However, the beta-blocker, Atenalol, seems to help reduce the number of incidents. My doctor told me it wasn't serious and to stop worrying about them. Easier said than done, as I'm sure you are already aware.
      #6; Sat, 15 Dec 2007 15:23:00 GMT
    • I have Ventricular Tachycardia.
      #7; Sat, 15 Dec 2007 15:24:00 GMT
    • a good on line group is http://**************.yahoo.com/group/PeoplewithPVCs/message/26882

this group has helped alot to reduce my anxiety over the pvcs.

#8; Sat, 15 Dec 2007 15:25:00 GMT
    • CLC, sorry, I misunderstood your original e-mail. I thought you had PVCs rather than V-tach. I hope you'll be seeing your cardiologist soon and get things under control so that you can sleep at night and not have to worry. Please let us know how things turn out after your visit. I'm going to the support group site that Gigi suggested. Gigi, thanks for your suggestion. I'm looking forward to reducing my anxiety.
      #9; Sat, 15 Dec 2007 15:26:00 GMT
    • What exactly is a PVC...I can be sleeping sometimes and quickly wakeup thinking iam not breathing. I always thought it had something to do with Anxiety or is this Sleep apnea as stated above? Ive never been diagnoised with an arrythmia but I do have the whole heart fluttering thing ever so often.
      #10; Sat, 15 Dec 2007 15:27:00 GMT
    • It sounds like you have sleep apnea since that is where you stop breathing.
      #11; Sat, 15 Dec 2007 15:28:00 GMT
    • There are several conditions that you might be experiencing when waking with the feeling of not breathing. One is orthopnea, which I think makes you feel like you are choking, perhaps on your saliva. If you have had a good ehcocardiogram, that's probably not what's going on. Orthopnea goes with heart failure. The remedy is to sleep with a lot of pillows. Another is sleep apnea, which makes you feel very poorly rested. This is a sleep disorder, which often will make you so sleep-deprived you may find yourself falling asleep on the toilet or while driving. It's pretty extreme. Then you might have gastro-esophogeal reflux disease, or GERD. You'd be waking up choking on stomach acid in the back of your throat. You would probably have heartburn-like discomfort at other times of day, too. You would be advised to raise the head of your bed with six inch wooden blocks beneath the legs of the bed (only at the head of hte bed, of course! or you defeat the purpose!). Pheochromocytoma just makes your heart beat very fast without a sensation of choking and it's similar to panic, waking for no reason with a jolt and a racing heart like you just fell off a train.

Don't know if this helps: each of these problems comes with other symptoms, so you might want to look them up on a search engine with "symptoms" to make sure the one you suspect matches the symptoms you have.

Hugs,

Pam

#12; Sat, 15 Dec 2007 15:29:00 GMT
    • Thanks a bunch Pam helps alot I do have heart burn alot mostly when I do wake up like this I just like panic real quick and gasp for air thinking iam not breathing.
      #13; Sat, 15 Dec 2007 15:30:00 GMT